This week Harry learns about the power of individualized molecular diagnostics for cancer patients from N-of-One founder Jennifer Levin Carter.
Dr. Jennifer Carter says it was watching friends and family members stricken with cancer struggle navigate the complexities of the healthcare system in the early 2000s that inspired her to start a company in the area of precision medicine. At that time, the development of targeted therapies for cancers with specific genetic markers was already offering new hope to patients, but it was also creating new challenges for doctors and patients, who had to digest, manage, and interpret unprecedented amounts of data. The vision of her company N-of-One, she says, was around “how do you create something that could cut across all the different stakeholders and create the knowledge necessary that connected physicians and patients with cutting edge diagnosic and treatment strategies in a way that made it understandable and accessible.” That ended up being “a very good strategy for physicians, patients, and the company,” Carter says—an observation confirmed by QIAGEN’s acquisition of N-of-One in January 2019.
How to rate MoneyBall Medicine on iTunes with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Launch the “Podcasts” app on your device. If you can’t find this app, swipe all the way to the left on your home screen until you’re on the Search page.
- Tap the search field at th top and type in “Podcasts.” Apple’s Podcasts app should show up in the search results.
- Tap the Podcasts app icon, and after it opens, tap the Search field at the top, or the little magnifying glass icon in the lower right corner.
- Type MoneyBall Medicine into the search field and press the Search button.
- In the search results, click on the MoneyBall Medicine logo.
- On the next page, scroll down until you see the Ratings & Reviews section. Below that you’ll see five purple stars.
- Tap the stars to rate the show.
- Scroll down a little farther. You’ll see a purple link saying “Write a Review.”
- On the next screen, you’ll see the stars again. You can tap them to leave a rating, if you haven’t already.
- In the Title field, type a summary for your review.
- In the Review field, type your review.
- When you’re finished, click Send.
- That’s it, you’re done. Thanks!