Milind Kamkolkar Seeing the Forest and the Trees simultaneously at Cellarity
Harry welcomes Milind Kamkolkar back to the program. The former Sanofi exec is now the chief data and digital officer at Cellarity, a Flagship Pioneering-backed therapeutics startup working to model cell behavior computationally in order to identify new drug targets and therapies.
Milind Kamkolkar joined Cellarity in January 2019 to help the company to prove that it is now possible to “encode a cell” digitally—to use big data, deep learning, and other methods to model many different interconnected networks of molecular interactions. “The whole idea…is really only feasible now,” he says. “What changed over the last number of years is the ability to compute at scale.”
The promise of Cellarity’s computational models, Kamkolkar says, is that they look broadly at cell behavior, rather than taking a reductionist approach. “If you could see the forest and the trees, what does that look like?” he says. “Really taking into account all of these networks that exist not only at the molecular level, not only at the cellular level, but also at the tissue level, and being able to look at all of it at once. You could argue it sound quite preposterous, but I love the ambition.”
Kamkolkar joined Cellarity from Sanofi, where he was the industry’s first enterprise chief data officer, driving the transformation of Sanofi into a data-driven organization. Previously he was the global head of data science and AI and digital medicine at Novartis.
This episode is part of a special series of interviews with speakers at the AI Applications Summit produced by Corey Lane Partners. Check out the full show notes and other MoneyBall Medicine episodes on our website.
Please rate and review MoneyBall Medicine on Apple Podcasts! Here’s how to do that from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
• Launch the “Podcasts” app on your device. If you can’t find this app, swipe all the way to the left on your home screen until you’re on the Search page. Tap the search field at the top and type in “Podcasts.” Apple’s Podcasts app should show up in the search results.
• Tap the Podcasts app icon, and after it opens, tap the Search field at the top, or the little magnifying glass icon in the lower right corner.
• Type MoneyBall Medicine into the search field and press the Search button.
• In the search results, click on the MoneyBall Medicine logo.
• On the next page, scroll down until you see the Ratings & Reviews section. Below that, you’ll see five purple stars.
• Tap the stars to rate the show.
• Scroll down a little farther. You’ll see a purple link saying “Write a Review.”
• On the next screen, you’ll see the stars again. You can tap them to leave a rating if you haven’t already.
• In the Title field, type a summary for your review.
• In the Review field, type your review.
• When you’re finished, click Send.
• That’s it, you’re done. Thanks!