Harry interviews Ramy Farid, president and CEO of Schrödinger Pharmaceuticals, about the company’s success using chemical simulation software to help drug makers zero in on promising drug candidates—and about its recent IPO, which brought in more than twice as much cash as the company expected.
Schrödinger makes software that models the physics of atomic-scale interactions to predict the chemical properties of candidate drug molecules, helping its customers speed up drug discovery. A decade ago, Farid tells Harry, the company faced the chicken-and-egg challenge of convincing customers that its computational platform works, so that they would scale up their commitment so that they could gather evidence it was working. Close collaborations with customers like Nimbus Therapeutics helped it improve the software and surmount that challenge.
“In order to really take it to the next level and make a difference, it was necessary to use the software as customers ourselves,” Farid says. “You get real-time feedback, honest feedback. You can imagine how much we learned from that.”
Please rate and review MoneyBall Medicine on Apple Podcasts! Here’s how to do that from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
• Launch the “Podcasts” app on your device. If you can’t find this app, swipe all the way to the left on your home screen until you’re on the Search page. Tap the search field at the top and type in “Podcasts.” Apple’s Podcasts app should show up in the search results.
• Tap the Podcasts app icon, and after it opens, tap the Search field at the top, or the little magnifying glass icon in the lower right corner.
• Type MoneyBall Medicine into the search field and press the Search button.
• In the search results, click on the MoneyBall Medicine logo.
• On the next page, scroll down until you see the Ratings & Reviews section. Below that, you’ll see five purple stars.
• Tap the stars to rate the show.
• Scroll down a little farther. You’ll see a purple link saying “Write a Review.”
• On the next screen, you’ll see the stars again. You can tap them to leave a rating if you haven’t already.
• In the Title field, type a summary for your review.
• In the Review field, type your review.
• When you’re finished, click Send.
• That’s it, you’re done. Thanks!