Harry has a heart-to-heart conversation with Dr. Kathryn Teng, who’s working to use data to implement an access- and experience-based population health model at MetroHealth, the public health system for Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
Kathryn Teng, MD, is division chief of internal medicine and community medicine at MetroHealth, one of three major healthcare systems serving Cleveland and the rest of Cuyahoga County in Ohio. She believes that healthcare costs are out of control in part because too many patients go directly to specialists about issues that their primary care physician or nurses could and should handle. But figuring out how many primary care doctors a big healthcare system like MetroHealth needs, and where they should be placed, is a data, analytics, and management problem.
When she arrived at MetroHealth in 2015, Teng set out to collect data points to help with decisions across what she calls the “four quadrants” of population health: access to care, patient experience, provider and caregiver experience, and lower costs. “The real joy in this job,” Teng says, “is really around…trying to achieve the vision of population health, which is how do we provide the right care for the right patients by the right team members, and in the right modality.”
How to rate MoneyBall Medicine on iTunes with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Launch the “Podcasts” app on your device. If you can’t find this app, swipe all the way to the left on your home screen until you’re on the Search page. Tap the search field at the top and type in “Podcasts.” Apple’s Podcasts app should show up in the search results.
- Tap the Podcasts app icon, and after it opens, tap the Search field at the top, or the little magnifying glass icon in the lower right corner.
- Type MoneyBall Medicine into the search field and press the Search button.
- In the search results, click on the MoneyBall Medicine logo.
- On the next page, scroll down until you see the Ratings & Reviews section. Below that you’ll see five purple stars.
- Tap the stars to rate the show.
- Scroll down a little farther. You’ll see a purple link saying “Write a Review.”
- On the next screen, you’ll see the stars again. You can tap them to leave a rating, if you haven’t already.
- In the Title field, type a summary for your review.
- In the Review field, type your review.
- When you’re finished, click Send.
- That’s it, you’re done. Thanks!