Harry gets an update on the merger of AI, robotics, and high-throughput chemistry in the new “self-driving laboratory” from University of Toronto theoretical chemist Alán Aspuru-Guzik.
Many of the processes carried out in traditional chemistry labs searching for new drugs or drug targets can be sped up through factory-style automation—and in fact, “combinatorial chemistry” was a big boost for the field. But Alán Aspuru-Guzik, a theoretical chemist in the departments of chemistry and computer science at the University of Toronto, says “the transition to autonomy is what we really want.” Think of a “self-driving chemical lab” that uses big data, AI, and robotics to explore chemical space through a cycle of synthesis, characterization, and testing: that’s what happening both at Aspuru-Guzik’s Cambridge, MA-based startup Kebotix, in cooperation with commercial partners, and at his lab in Toronto, where he holds the Canada 150 Research Chair in Theoretical Chemistry. “We’re trying to put together the molecular Lego pieces, with a finite set of reactions and fragments,” Aspuru-Guzik says. “The art of being successful is not getting lost in an infinite forest of possibilities.”
How to rate MoneyBall Medicine on iTunes with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Launch the “Podcasts” app on your device. If you can’t find this app, swipe all the way to the left on your home screen until you’re on the Search page. Tap the search field at the top and type in “Podcasts.” Apple’s Podcasts app should show up in the search results.
- Tap the Podcasts app icon, and after it opens, tap the Search field at the top, or the little magnifying glass icon in the lower right corner.
- Type MoneyBall Medicine into the search field and press the Search button.
- In the search results, click on the MoneyBall Medicine logo.
- On the next page, scroll down until you see the Ratings & Reviews section. Below that you’ll see five purple stars.
- Tap the stars to rate the show.
- Scroll down a little farther. You’ll see a purple link saying “Write a Review.”
- On the next screen, you’ll see the stars again. You can tap them to leave a rating, if you haven’t already.
- In the Title field, type a summary for your review.
- In the Review field, type your review.
- When you’re finished, click Send.
- That’s it, you’re done. Thanks!